Preparation time: 15 minutes to prepare, 3-4 hours to let
sit. Always use the freshest fish possible. Make the same day you
purchase fresh fish.
- 2 lbs of firm, fresh red snapper fillets (or other firm-fleshed
fish), cut into 1/2 inch pieces, completely deboned
- 1/2 cup of fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup of chopped fresh seeded tomatoes
- 1 serrano chili, seeded and finely diced
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- Dash of ground oregano
- Dash of Tabasco or a light pinch of cayenne pepper
- Tortillas or tortilla chips
In a non-reactive casserole dish, either Pyrex or ceramic,
place the fish, onion, tomatoes, chili, salt, Tabasco, and oregano.
Cover with lime and lemon juice. Let sit covered in the refrigerator
for an hour, then stir, making sure more of the fish gets exposed to the
acidic lime and lemon juices. Let sit for several hours, giving time
for the flavors to blend.
During the marinating process the fish will change from pinkish grey
and translucent, to whiter in color and opaque.
Serve with chopped cilantro and slices of avocado with heated
tortillas for ceviche tacos or with tortilla chips.