- For the Dressing
- 1 head garlic
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for
- Kosher salt
- 1 10-ounce box frozen chopped spinach, thawed
and squeezed dry
- 3 anchovy fillets
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper
- For the Salad
- 1/2 pound pancetta, diced
- 3 thick slices ciabatta bread
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 pound small heirloom tomatoes, halved or cut
- 1/4 pound small mozzarella balls, quartered
- 1/3 cup loosely packed fresh parsley
Make the dressing: Preheat the oven to 350. Cut the top 1/2 inch
off the garlic head and discard; place the garlic on a piece of foil,
drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and wrap up. Roast until
tender, 30 minutes. Cool; squeeze the cloves from their skins.
Puree the roasted garlic, spinach, anchovies, egg yolk, mustard,
vinegar and 3/4 cup water in a blender. With the motor running, slowly
add 1 cup olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
Prepare the salad: Preheat the broiler. Cook the pancetta in a
skillet over medium heat until crisp, 6 minutes; transfer to paper
towels to drain. Reserve the drippings in the skillet. Brush the bread
with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and broil until toasted.
Cool, then cut into cubes.
Toss the mushrooms, lemon juice, tomatoes, mozzarella and parsley
in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add the pancetta, bread cubes
and 2 tablespoons of the pancetta drippings and toss. Divide among
bowls and drizzle with dressing.