You can make this dish a few hours in advanced, or even the
night before and let the soba chill and marinate, just be sure not to
add the peanuts, mint and basil until just before serving. It's a nice
dish that can make either six large meals, or 12 well portioned sides.
- 3/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño chile pepper, seeded and minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Zest of one lime
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 12 ounces soba noodles
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large ripe mango, peeled
and chopped into cubes
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 cup chopped roasted, salted peanuts
- Lime wedges for serving (optional)
1 Place the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt in a
saucepan over medium heat for 1-2 minutes until the sugar and salt
dissolve. Stir in the garlic and jalapeño, and allow to cool. Add the
lime juice, lime zest, and sesame oil and mix well.
2 Cook the noodles in salted water, until al dente, according
to the package instructions. Drain and then rinse well under cool water.
Transfer the noodles to a large bowl and toss with the dressing.
3 Add the mango, bell pepper, basil and mint. Toss and plate.
Serve with chopped peanuts sprinkled over the top and lime wedges.