- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 lb asparagus, trimmed, cut on the diagonal into 1 1/2 inch
lengths (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 lb of flank steak, sliced in half lengthwise (along the grain)
and then cut into thin strips, 2 inches long and 1/4 inch wide (put the
steak in the freezer for 15 minutes before slicing to make it easier to
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, de-ribbed, and cut into thin strips 2
inches long and 1/4 inch wide
- 2 teaspoons of cornstarch dissolved into 3 Tablespoons of water
All Purpose Stir Fry Sauce
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce (use gluten-free soy sauce for gluten-free version)
- 1 tsp finely chopped, peeled, fresh ginger
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 green onion, including green tops, chopped
- 1/2 tsp chili oil
1 While you are chopping the ingredients in
preparation, bring a small saucepan of water to boil. Parboil the
asparagus pieces for 2 minutes, drain, rinse in cold water, drain, and
set aside. If you are planning to serve this dish with rice, in a
separate pan, prepare 2 cups of white rice, following the instructions
on the rice package.
2 Prepare the All Purpose Stir Fry Sauce by combining the
ingredients in a small dish, and set aside.
3 Stir-fry the asparagus in a wok (or a thick-bottomed pan
with at least 2" sides that can take high heat) in 1 Tbsp of oil, on
high heat, for about 2 minutes until lightly browned. Remove asparagus
from pan and set aside.
4 Add another 1 Tbsp of oil to the pan and stir fry the beef
strips, in 2 batches, for 2-3 minutes until browned but still pink
inside. Return the first batch of beef to the pan and add the bell
pepper. Stir and toss over high heat until just beginning to wilt, 1-2
5 Quickly stir the cornstarch liquid and add it to the pan
along with the stir fry sauce. Cook until sauce thickens, 1-2 minutes.
Return the asparagus to the pan, toss to evenly coat and serve with
steamed white rice (unless you are going low-carb, in which case, leave
out the rice).